Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year . . . sort of . . .

I wanted to do something fun for New Year's Eve. I thought it would be fun to start a tradition with our little family that we could do together before the boys went to sleep. (There is no way they are staying up until midnight. Everyone will be miserable.) I decided that it would be so fun to do a breakfast dinner! I was so excited to find a package of bacon in the freezer because Scott LOVES bacon so it would make the meal perfect!! I made homemade waffles, yummy cheesy eggs and . . . bacon. Everything was going perfectly. Scott even got home a little early. I checked the timer on the bacon and turned around to pull a waffle out of the waffle iron. When I turned back around to the bacon in microwave, the paper towel covering was on FIRE!!!! So I did what every level headed mother does. PANIC!!!! I started screaming, "FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!" Then in my head I thought, "Water. Water puts out fires." I yanked the burning pan out of the microwave, threw it in the sink and turned on the water. A teeny tine thought crossed my mind, "Never put hot glass in water . . ." KA-BOOM!! The glass dish exploded into a million ity bitty tiny pieces all over the kitchen! Awesome. So after I aired out the house and doused the rest of the flames. We sat down and ate our waffles and eggs. No bacon. After we ate and I had recovered a bit I cleaned up all the glass and dishes. I just finished wiping everything down and then ran the disposal to clear everything out and the most horrifying sound came out!! I shut if off and realized, "There is glass in there. Awesome." I fished around in the sludge trying to find the stray pieces of glass. I tried the disposal again. Again, horrible sound. So I dug around some more. Scott came up to my rescue. He kept digging while I put Cole to bed. Right as I came back down the stairs he flipped the switch to try it again and . . . nothing. Great. I killed the disposal and the bacon and a baking dish. But the night didn't end there!! So I then put Ben to bed and miracle of miracles he was asleep by 9:15 pm. I came down ready to party with the hubby to find him fast asleep on the love sac. Sweet.  I tried to watch some the Times Square broadcast to cheer me up, but it only frustrated me. Thirty seconds of Ryan Seacrest telling me what was coming up and then 5 minutes of commercials, and then thirty more seconds of babble, then more commercials. All the while Scott is snoring gangbusters in my ear. I shut off the TV and we were in bed by 10:30 pm. Wahoo!! Aren't we party animals? Don't worry. There is more. Of course the fireworks going off at midnight woke up Ben. He came in our bed for a bit, but I grew tired of his feet in my back so I took him back to his bed. Not an hour later he had weaseled his way back into our bed. I realized I had two choices. 1: carry Ben back to his room a million times or 2: sleep in his bed. I slept in his bed. Happy New Year from us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...