Thursday, October 20, 2011

my quilt!

 Here it is! My creation from start to finish! These are the fabrics that I started out with. It took me two trips to the fabric store, with my mentor Megan, to commit to these fabrics and a pattern. But in the end I couldn't be happier. I adore them!
I cut my fabric down into 88 strips of quilt top fabric and 8 strips of binding fabric.
 Then I had to sew the contrasting fabrics together. Then cut them down into 480 little squares. Then combine them into a rectangle. Finally I sewed two rectangles together to make a square. I needed 120 of these bad boys for this twin quilt. Oye. There were a lot of pieces to keep track of!

 Then I sewed them into rows as shown with help from my assistant Ben.

 Finally I sewed the rows together to complete the quilt top!! I hate to admit that my quilt stayed in the quilt top phase for a VERY long time because the quilting part freaked me out. There was a lot of fabric to work with and I was so scared of messing it up!

But this last weekend Megan was in town so she gave me a crash course in what I need to do next. She told me I would definitely have it done before Christmas. Christmas!!??! That was WAY too far away. That would mean that I would miss out on cuddling with it all fall! So I busted it out in one weekend! HA! I showed her!
 After a long hard battle with a walking foot, which is now broken and on its way back to the store (sigh). I finished the quilt!! Since my junker walking foot broke I used one of the other feet that I had on hand and let me tell you. It was WAY easier to use than that dumb walking foot. ( I am sure this is due to my lack of experience, not my quilting expertise.)
 In the end I couldn't be happier! I love it! The binding totally makes the quilt. Scott still thinks it "doesn't match." Too bad. I love it!
 I actually quite enjoyed binding the quilt. My blind stitching skills have improved, but still have a LONG way to go before they really are "blind."



So pretty and ready for snuggling!!

4 comments:

  1. You did such a great job!!! I love it! Sorry if I made you feel like you couldn't do it fast enough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it!!! So dang cute!! I think the whole thing works, love the colors and patterns! Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty Britta! I need to use it as an inspiration to make my own! But I am nervous with inexperience too...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...