Saturday, October 1, 2011

Grandpa's Garden

 I was washing some strawberries for lunch last week and Ben asked me, "Why you doing dat mommy?" I explained that we had to was off all the dirt and germs before we ate it. He asked me, "Why?" (Of course.) I told him that sometimes there is still dirt on the strawberries from the field where they were picked. He seriously looked at me like I was crazy. His face said, "Duh mom, we bought those at the store!" So I decided it was time for a hands on educational field trip to Grandpa Duane's Garden.

 Ben got to pick all kinds of vegetables: tomatoes, squash, beans, cucumbers and peppers.
 He filled his bucket all the way to the top.



 The bean bucket was a little big and awkward for him. Grandpa thought it was hilarious that he was dragging it through the garden.
 Ben picked us some peaches to take home too! We had the most delicious peach cobbler!
 Grandpa taught Ben how to plant seeds. They planted some radishes. Last week when we went up for another visit we saw the radishes starting to sprout! Ben was so proud.
 First they dug the hole, then put in the seeds, and then Ben's favorite part: watering.
 When we got home that night Ben insisted on washing his vegetables a million times. But he didn't want to eat them. He told me, "Mom, these are not to eat. They are vegetables!" Oh right. My mistake. I think they were trophies, not food to him.
What was Cole doing? Oh just trying to hop the fence so he could pick vegetables too.
 But then he decided to swipe brother's vegetables. Ben wasn't so happy about that.

1 comment:

  1. Love it!! Wish I could have been there, fun day, love you guys

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...